Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Quilting Puzzlement

I’ve been sewing since I was 10 years old. My mother made sure I knew how to sew garments, embroider, crochet, and all the other thread arts. But she never taught me to quilt.

I also can’t work a jigsaw puzzle. I really can’t! The pieces make no sense to me unless they are lying in exactly the right position with vivid coloring that makes sense with the adjoining piece.

My sister and I decided we both have “Completion Disorder”. We are generally frustrated until we get to cross whatever project we are working on off the list. I’ve come to realize that creating a quilt is as much about the journey as the destination or, in other words, it is as much about the process as the completion.

So the very fact that I have made any quilts at all is puzzlement to me. And the truth is, without a lot of handholding from my husband and the family quilters around me, it would never have happened. Every time I’ve completed a quilt, I feel an amazing sense of accomplishment even with all the help I was given, and I sleep under a quilt virtually every night. I love quilts. But I am, really, Not a Quilter!

No comments:

Post a Comment