Saturday, June 27, 2009

2009 Covered With Grace











June, 2009 Covered With Grace Quilt Size: 68” X 55”
I wasn’t anticipating making another quilt except maybe, possibly, eventually, a quilt for my other grandchildren. But then I saw the fabric… Most of it was in a Moda Three Sisters collection “Sanctuary”. I thought I would tackle a 12 block sampler using patterns from the book “Bible Expressions” that my sister-in-law Kathy had loaned me. I soon realized that, puzzle maker than I am not, I was lost in a maze of incomprehensible shapes. I had started this project in early 2008, became frustrated and let it lay in my quilt fabric box for about a year and a half. When I took it out to work on it again, I was overwhelmed, so once again Jim came to my rescue and patiently helped me with the cutting and laying out each block before I pieced it together so I could see how it needed to be constructed. There is no doubt that this quilt would never have been completed without his help! This quilt also brought me to the Quilting Forum on the Internet where I received friendly advice from all over the United States and other countries on how to “fix” my seam puckering, and where to find the red material for the border that was no longer available from the store where I had originally purchased it as fat quarters. Lesson learned: buy ALL the fabric you need before you start! Each block has a symbolic Bible story in it’s design. We named this quilt “Covered With Grace” because for us it represents all that God has covered for us so that we might live eternally. It was machine quilted by Jean Graham from Galien, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment