Saturday, June 27, 2009

February 2005 Valentine Coaster




I went to sister-in-law Kathy’s house and she taught my sister Macky and me how to do paper piecing. We made little drink coasters. I mailed them to my granddaughters, Sophie and Savannah, for Valentine ’s Day. They kept them on their nightstands to hold their water glasses. A funny thing happened, though. Shortly after receiving them, their dog grabbed Sophie’s coaster and chewed it and actually devoured a corner of it. My daughter, Sharilyn, called me and told me that Sophie was heartbroken. So I made a replica, and without telling Sophie, I had Shari replace it during the night. Sophie called me the next day and said “Grandma, something very mysterious happened in the night!” She was actually a little frightened in her 5 year old mind. I never did tell her how it came to be and instead told her it was a miracle. This is the picture of the now washed and chewed up coaster!


I wrote them this poem:
Sometimes when it is late at night
And you are feeling sleepy
Your throat feels hot and oh so dry
And you think “I am thirsty!”

Don't wake Mom and Dad in bed
They really need their rest
Just find your drink
(It is near your bed
Sitting on it’s blanket).

You are grown up!
You've had your drink
No one had to help you.
Now snuggle down and close your eyes
And you'll return to Dreamland.

No comments:

Post a Comment